Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes and More
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- SERVING SIZE
- 3 pierogies
- COOK TIME
- 35 Min
There's nothing like homemade pierogies! With a flavor-packed potato filling, tender homemade dough, and sweet caramelized onions, it's no wonder why this Polish recipe has become so popular throughout the world. Once you try our Old-Fashioned Pierogies, we're sure you'll fall in love!
What You'll Need
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion, divided
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
What to Do
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onion 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Remove 1/4 cup of onion and set aside. Continue to cook remaining onion 5 to 7 minutes or until golden; set aside. In a large saucepan, boil potatoes 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain and mash.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1/4 cup onion, the mashed potatoes, cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper; mix well and set aside.
- To make the dough, in another large bowl, mix eggs and sour cream until smooth. In a medium bowl, combine 3 cups flour, the baking powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir until dough comes together.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide dough in half and cover half with plastic wrap. Lightly flour your work surface and, with a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut out the dough. Place 1 teaspoon potato filling in center of each dough round. Moisten edges with water, fold the dough over the filling and pinch edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and potato mixture.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pierogies in batches and cook 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined platter. Over medium heat, add pierogis to skillet with remaining onion. Cook until golden and heated through.
This pierogi recipe comes from The Ultimate Recipes Across America Cookbook. Click here for more information about the cookbook, and to find out where you can order your copies!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This easy recipe is sure to become a family-favorite! Our Beef 'n' Broccoli Noodle Toss is an Asian-inspired dish that starts with budget-friendly ramen noodles. Whip it up for a quick weeknight dinner that's sure to please everyone!