Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes and More
Simple Shredded Potato Pancakes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Potato pancakes are a symbolic and scrumptious treat commonly made for Hanukkah. Not only are they super crispy and really tasty, but thanks to the pre-shredded potatoes you can find at your favorite supermarket, these Simple Shredded Potato Pancakes are, well, simple to make! And, even if you don't celebrate Hanukkah, these easy potato pancakes make a delicious side dish for breakfast or dinner any day of the week! It's a crispy, full-of-flavor way to satisfy your taste buds!
What You'll Need
- 1 (20-ounce) bag refrigerated shredded potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, and egg; mix well. Add flour, salt, and pepper; mix until well combined.
- Measure out about a heaping 1/4 cup of potato mixture and form it into a patty. (Yes, it’s ok to use your hands for this.) Continue to form patties with remaining potato mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot, but not smoking. In batches, place potato pancakes into oil and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden on both sides. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter; serve warm.
Test Kitchen Tips
- If you prefer to shred fresh potatoes, you’ll need about 3-1/2 cups. You may have to add a bit more or less flour to the mixture based on the moisture content of your potatoes. We suggest cooking one pancake and tasting it to make sure the mixture is perfect before cooking them all. If it’s too thick, add a tablespoon or so of water, too thin, add more flour.
- Serve these piping hot with sour cream or applesauce. If you'd like to be a super kitchen hero, you can easily make our Chunky Applesauce!
- For more traditional Hanukkah recipes, that will go great with these easy potato pancakes, check out our Herb Roasted Bundt Pan Chicken or this so-juicy-and-good Crowd-Pleasing Brisket!
- Ready for dessert? We've got these sweet Hanukkah Butter Cookies, or if your family prefers, our Chocolate Chip Rugelach or Apricot Rugelach recipes will top off the night in the perfect-dessert kind of way!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Saturated Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 0.0g 0 %
- Cholesterol 0.0mg 0 %
- Sodium 0.0mg 0 %
- Total Carbohydrates 0.0g 0 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0 %
- Sugars 0.0g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We teamed a pasta salad with a tuna salad to come up with this dish that's summertime-perfect and very budget-friendly. Our Tuna Twist is a new take on an old recipe that's great for a light summer dinner. Or you can take this tuna pasta salad to a picnic or potluck (where it'll be the first thing to disappear!).