Pushcart Onion Sauce
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Pushcart Onion Sauce is an easy version of the traditional topping that's served up at New York City hot dog stands. Take your taste buds to the Big Apple with the very first bite! We love our Pushcart Onion Sauce recipe because it's that all-American hot dog cart flavor from the comfort of home. You'll love it too, especially when it upgrades any cookout menu in a matter of seconds!
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, cut in half then into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup water
What to Do
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot; add onions and saute 8 to 10 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Add ketchup, chili powder, cinnamon, salt, and hot pepper sauce; mix well. Stir in water and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is heated through.
Before You Start Cooking!
- This Pushcart Onion Sauce is really great spooned over cooked hot dogs, but try it with other foods, too! You'll be amazed at how fast they disappear!
- If you're looking for some more great ways to decorate your franks, check out our collection of Amazing Hot Dog Recipes!
- The Fourth of July is a big time for chowing down on hot dogs. But we've got even more recipes to make your holiday as tastey as it can be! Try our All-American Flank Steak for a grilling success.
- And for dessert, we've got our American Berry Trifle and our Independence Day Brookie Bars.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Calories 204
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 14g 21 %
- Saturated Fat 1.9g 9 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 2.0g 4 %
- Cholesterol 0.0mg 0 %
- Sodium 479mg 20 %
- Total Carbohydrates 21g 7 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.2g 9 %
- Sugars 14g 0 %