Pulled Pork Sandwiches
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
In the South, there's a barbecue joint on every corner and each one boasts the best pulled pork sandwiches. The Southern cooks in our test kitchen helped create a version that comes pretty close to that authentic flavor, but with a shortcut or two.
What You'll Need
- 1 (3- to 3-1/2 pound) boneless pork shoulder blade roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 8 hamburger buns
- 1 1/2 cups warm barbecue sauce (see Note)
What to Do
Season roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 6-quart pressure cooker over high heat. Add roast and brown on all sides 8 to 10 minutes. Add water, vinegar, sugar, and liquid smoke.
Lock lid in place and bring to full pressure over high heat. When pressure regulator begins to rock, reduce heat to medium and cook 1 hour.
Cool cooker at once by carefully placing under cold running water until steam no longer escapes from vent and pressure is completely reduced.
Remove lid and cut roast into 1-inch slices (roast will come apart as you slice). Divide meat equally over buns. Top with barbecue sauce, and serve.
- Use your favorite prepared barbecue sauce or make it homemade with one of our barbecue sauce recipes. Try Sweet Mustard Barbecue Sauce, North Carolina Barbecue Sauce, or Bourbon Barbecue Sauce for starters.
- If you want even more classic Southern recipes, be sure to check out our free eCookbook, Down-Home Cookin': 24 Easy Southern Favorites.
- For more simple Labor Day recipes, return to our collection page!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This Easter Egg Bread recipe is sure to become an Easter tradition for years to come! This eye-catching Easter bread recipe is a pull-apart sweet bread that has colorful Easter eggs baked right in. It's such a sweet and colorful dessert, no one will be able to resist pulling off a piece of this Easter bread recipe. Kids and adults alike will love tearing off a piece and enjoying this sweet, festive sweet bread recipe.