Castaway Coconut Shrimp
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Enjoy a taste of the tropics with our recipe for Castaway Coconut Shrimp! Jumbo shrimp are coated with a mixture of seasonings, breadcrumbs, and flaked coconut for lots of flavor and texture, then fried until they're perfectly golden. And when you serve these crispy-crunchy shrimp with our homemade pineapple dipping sauce...oh boy!
What You'll Need
- DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup piña colada drink mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- COCONUT SHRIMP
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails left on
- 2 cups vegetable oil
What to Do
- In a medium bowl, combine Dipping Sauce ingredients; mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, cayenne pepper, and salt; mix well. In a small bowl, beat together eggs and water. Place coconut and bread crumbs in another shallow dish.
- Coat shrimp with flour mixture, then with egg mixture. Roll in coconut mixture, pressing mixture firmly onto shrimp to coat completely.
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot, but not smoking. Cook shrimp in batches 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, turning once during cooking. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Serve immediately with Dipping Sauce.
This recipe is inspired by the 1960s TV show, Gilligans Island. We're sure that the cast and crew of the S.S. Minnow would've loved these, as well as any of our Tropical Treats!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 1,399
- Calories from Fat 1,116
- Total Fat 124g 191 %
- Saturated Fat 24g 118 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 23g 46 %
- Cholesterol 256mg 85 %
- Sodium 1,054mg 44 %
- Total Carbohydrates 53g 18 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.0g 12 %
- Sugars 32g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you're a lover of crispy-crunchy snacks, then you're really going to enjoy this recipe for Crispy Green Bean Fries. Lightly-breaded green beans are baked until they're perfectly crispy, so you can enjoy healthier and yummier snacking.