Southern Shrimp and Grits
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Shrimp and grits has been a breakfast staple in Southern kitchens for a long time, but, over the years, word has spread across the country about how amazing this dish is. Now, folks are enjoying Southern Shrimp and Grits almost everywhere! With lots of creamy, cheesy goodness and flavor-packed shrimp...it's hard to resist!
What You'll Need
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound frozen peeled and deveined medium-sized uncooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 scallions, sliced
What to Do
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil; stir in grits and salt, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until thickened. Reduce heat to low, add cheese, and stir until melted.
- Heat drippings in skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and garlic to skillet. Saute 3 minutes, or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in lemon juice, hot sauce, and scallions and heat 1 minute.
- Spoon grits into a bowl, top with shrimp mixture, and sprinkle with bacon.
If you're a fan of these shrimp and grits, then you'll want to check out our collection of Good Ol' Southern Breakfast Recipes for even more tasty ideas!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 425
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 21g 32 %
- Saturated Fat 9.5g 48 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 29g 58 %
- Cholesterol 188mg 63 %
- Sodium 1,969mg 82 %
- Total Carbohydrates 29g 10 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.9g 11 %
- Sugars 3.0g 0 %
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.