French Onion Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
There's a secret ingredient in this easy French Onion Soup that will surprise you. We took one bite of this rich, beefy, cheesy soup and said, as the French do, "oo-la-la!" When dinner is this internationally fancy, there's no reason to wait; try it for yourself and see why this is one of the most popular onion soup recipes we have ever shared!
What You'll Need
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 4 (1-inch) slices French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
What to Do
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook 25 minutes, or until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef broth, apple cider, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stir in Parmesan cheese and wine, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Preheat broiler. Place bread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with equal amounts of the Swiss cheese. Broil 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Pour soup into bowls and top each with a slice of toasted cheese bread; serve.
Check This Out!
- We've got loads of great soup recipes on our website. How about trying our 4 Bean Minestrone or Potato Cheese Soup next time you want to stir up a pot of soup!
- For more onion recipes, make our California Onion Dip or our Caramelized Onion Pizza.
- Let's make something French! Try these easy recipes for Beef Bourguignon and our Bananas Foster.
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.