Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Nothing soothes the soul as much as a certain old favorite... can you guess which favorite we're referring to? You guessed it- Slow Cooker French Onion Soup! This one is simple and delicious- a winner in more ways than one!
What You'll Need
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (10-1/2-ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- 1 cup restaurant-style croutons
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
What to Do
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Reserve bacon for another use.
- Combine drippings, melted butter, and next 3 ingredients in a 3- or 3-1/2-quart slow cooker. Stir well to coat onions.
- Cover and cook on HIGH setting 4 hours. Stir in consommè and wine; cover and cook on HIGH setting 15 more minutes or just until heated. Ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with 1/4 cup croutons and 1 slice cheese.
For this recipe, an oval-shaped slow cooker helps to caramelize the onions more evenly because there's more surface area for the onions to cook. However, the resulting soup is fantastic made in a round slow cooker, too. You can also cook the soup on LOW setting for 8 hours, but the onions won't caramelize as much.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We've made a rise 'n' shine pastry that you can enjoy with your morning cup of coffee that has...well, a twist to it! Our Chocolate Peanut Butter Twists are pretty enough to serve for a special brunch, but easy enough that anyone can make 'em. Plus, they feature everyone's favorite combo of chocolate and peanut butter!