Better Buttermilk Biscuits
There's nothing like freshly baked biscuits, especially when they're made from scratch and with lots of love. Our Better Buttermilk Biscuits are super flaky and perfect for eating as-is or alongside a bowl of soup, a crock of chili, a saucy stew...we can go on and on!
What You'll Need
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour plus extra for work surface
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoon cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 2-1/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening and butter using a fork or pastry cutter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Place dough on a lightly floured work surface. Knead dough just until dough comes together and roll out to 3/4-inch thickness with a rolling pin.
- Cut out biscuits with a 2-1/2-inch cutter or glass. Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Knead remaining dough back into a ball to make more biscuits.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or just until biscuits begin to turn golden. Remove from baking sheet and serve warm.