Beef and Guinness Stew
Beef and Guinness Stew is a classic Irish dish that gets its flavorful kick from traditional Irish beer. The rich sauce and tender beef combines with chunks of garden veggies to make for a hearty one-pot meal.
What You'll Need
- 3 slice raw bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pound beef stew meat
- 1 1/2 cup (12 ounces) Guinness beer
- 3 cup beef stock
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounce baby carrots
- 4 celery stalks, sliced into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into half-moons
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water
What to Do
- In a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Stir in oil and meat, and continue cooking 8 to 10 minutes, or until meat is browned.
- Stir in beer, beef stock, garlic, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion; stir well, and cook 1 hour, or until meat is tender.
- Mix flour with water then stir into stew. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.