Mushroom Lover's Chicken
Mushrooms pair with everything, and our easy skillet dish Mushroom Lover's Chicken is smothered with a flavorful mushroom sauce that is company-fancy but easy enough for weeknight dinners.
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 to 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) fresh white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, optional (see Note)
What to Do
In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt, and pepper; mix well. Dip chicken in flour mixture, coating well.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until golden. Remove chicken to a plate and cover.
Melt butter in the same skillet. Add onions and mushrooms; saute 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken broth and wine and bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Return chicken to skillet and cook 6 to 8 more minutes, or until no pink remains, turning chicken once.
- Spoon mushroom sauce over chicken and serve immediately.
If you prefer not to use wine, simple substitute it with an additional 1/2 cup chicken broth.