Hamburger Stroganoff is our version of the classic recipe that Mom used to make. The creamy and beefy flavors combine in just a few minutes to make a skillet-fancy recipe the gang is sure to love!
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped (about cup)
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 pound egg noodles
- 1 cup ( pint) low-fat sour cream
What to Do
- In a large skillet, melt the margarine over medium heat; cook the ground beef and onion until the meat is browned and the onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour, garlic powder, pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the soup; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the noodles to desired doneness; drain.
- Remove the meat mixture from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Serve over the hot noodles.
Note: For a lower-fat stroganoff, substitute ground turkey for the ground beef and plain nonfat yogurt for the sour cream, and replace the soup with a low-fat cream of chicken soup. To "spice up" either version, add 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme, 1 teaspoon crushed dried sage and 1 teaspoon paprika when you add the garlic.