Cheesy Spoon Bread
- COOK TIME
- 25 Min
Put away your bread knife? There's no slicing this bread. Just spoon it out. And since the butter is baked in, you won't need a butter knife, either!
What You'll Need:
cup fine white cornmeal (see Note)
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons butter
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon black pepper
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 5- inch loaf pan with cooking spray
- In a medium-sized bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, combine cornmeal, water, butter, baking powder, salt, and pepper for 30 seconds. Add eggs and milk and beat 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour half of batter into a prepared loaf pan. Spoon chilies and 2/3 cup of cheese evenly over batter. Pour remaining batter over cheese and top with remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.
- Fine white cornmeal is available in the supermarket baking aisle or alongside the hot cereals.
03 01 12