We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
What would Southern cooking be without biscuits? Did you know that these are called soda biscuits 'cause the baking soda is what makes 'em so Southern-special?
What You'll Need:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, the baking soda, baking powder, and salt; mix well. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut shortening into flour mixture until crumbly. Add buttermilk and stir just until blended.
- Spread remaining 1/2 cup flour on a flat surface and gently knead dough with your hands. Do not overwork dough. Spread dough out and, with a 3-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut dough into biscuits.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until light golden. Serve warm, or remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 1 dozen biscuits.
We recommend keeping a container of powdered buttermilk on hand in the pantry. All you need to do is add water to the powder whenever a recipe calls for buttermilk.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you're looking for an even easier way to enjoy stuffed peppers, look no further than this Stuffed Peppers Casserole. It's got everything you love about stuffed peppers, but in the form of a hearty casserole! That means no hassle whatsoever - just lots of yummy eating!