Simple Breakfast Strata
- COOK TIME
- 35 Min
- READY IN
- 35 Min
Create endless variations of this easy and yummy make ahead egg dish that is perfect for brunch, dinner, and family get-togethers.
What You'll Need:
- 4 slices dense white or whole grain bread
- 4 eggs
teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- 6 slices Canadian-style bacon, chopped
cup shredded Cheddar cheese
What To Do:
- Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Place bread in a single layer in bottom of baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, and thyme until blended; pour over bread. Sprinkle with bacon. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes, or as long as overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove strata from refrigerator, uncover, and let stand while oven is heating.
- Bake in center of oven 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Continue baking until puffed, golden, and firm in center, about 5 additional minutes.
Like its cousins the quiche and bread pudding, the strata has endless variations. It can be made with almost any firm bread, enhanced with vegetables, meat, and cheese, and flavored any way you like.
As with French toast and bread pudding, the strata is a good use for bread that has become a bit dry.
You can substitute 6 strips of turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled, for the Canadian-style bacon.
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
04 17 14
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Everyone will love our fancy-sounding but easy-to-make Broccoli and Ham Quiche, whether you serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And since you can combine the ingredients in advance and store them in a plastic storage bag in the freezer until you're ready to thaw and bake it off, it makes an extra easy Easter meal!