Blue Watermelon Walnut Salad
- 10 Min
- COOK TIME
- 5 Min
- READY IN
- 15 Min
Blue Watermelon Walnut Salad is a healthy salad that tastes awesome! A bed of fresh baby greens tossed with crunchy walnuts, crumbled blue cheese and an exciting array of fresh fruit, including lycopene-rich watermelon, makes it easy to eat smart.
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup walnut pieces or halves
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 or 4 ounces fresh baby greens
- 2 seedless oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 4 cups seedless watermelon cubes
- 2 cups seedless grapes, halved
- 2 cups fresh, trimmed and sliced strawberries
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
What To Do:
- Heat walnuts in a seasoned wok or heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat for 1 minute; stir in sugar and soy sauce. Adjust heat to prevent burning while constantly stirring nuts until sugar melts. Continue to stir and cook until mixture begins to get sticky. Spread nuts over a sheet of waxed or parchment paper, and cool. Break apart into small pieces and crumble; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat vinegar over medium heat then stir in sugar. Continue to stir and adjust heat to bring mixture to a simmer. Add rosemary sprig to pan. Continue to simmer until contents of pan reduces by half its original volume; set aside.
Divide greens among 6 salad plates and arrange orange sections, watermelon, grapes, and strawberries over greens. Drizzle balsamic syrup over fruit and sprinkle with cheese crumbles. Top with candied walnut pieces, and serve.
Adapted from recipe courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
05 17 13