Classic White Bean Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 9 Min
- COOK TIME
- 22 Min
- READY IN
- 31 Min
Beans are filled with tons of protein so this Classic White Bean Soup is "soup"er hearty!
What You'll Need:
- 1 (16-ounce) can navy beans, undrained (see note)
- 1 (15.8-ounce) can great Northern beans, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham or 1 ham hock
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1 bay leaf
What To Do:
- Combine beans in a large saucepan; mash slightly with a potato masher or back of a large spoon. Stir in water, and cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add carrots, and cook, stirring constantly, until tender. Add carrots, ham, scallions, and bay leaf to bean mixture. Cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaf.
The navy bean - a type of kidney bean - gets its name from the fact that the U.S. Navy has long considered it a staple on their menus.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Homemade soup that's this hearty is simply irresistible! Between the rich tomato broth and the cheese-filled pasta it's hard not to fall in love with Mama Mia's Tortellini Soup. So, grab your favorite bowl and your soup spoon, 'cause this soup recipe is sure to please!