We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our recipe for easy homemade apple dumplings is inspired by the traditional apple dumplings that are still so popular in the Amish areas of Pennsylvania. We think it's our best apple dumpling recipe 'cause it's such a cozy option when you're looking for a warm dessert. This Amish apple dumpling recipe sure is a keeper, especially when paired with a big ol' scoop of ice cream.
What You'll Need:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 rolled refrigerated pie crust (from a 15-ounce package)
- 4 small or 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored (see Note)
What To Do:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a small saucepan, combine the water, white sugar, vanilla, 1 tablespoon butter, and the nutmeg over high heat. Bring to a boil for 1 minute; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; mix well.
Unroll pastry and cut into quarters. Stuff each apple cavity with an equal amount of brown sugar mixture and place on a pastry quarter. Fold pastry up around apples and pinch ends together to completely enclose apples. Place dumplings seam-side down in an 8-inch square baking dish and pour sugar sauce over the top.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm, drizzled with sugar glaze from bottom of baking dish.
- Small apples work great for this recipe but they’re not always available, so go ahead and use the regular-sized ones cut in half.
- Refrigerated pie crust provides a shortcut to this old-fashioned favorite.
- We've got more sweet dumpling recipes, too, like our Blueberries 'n' Dumplings and Sweeter Potato Dumplings.
If you love this apple dumplings recipe then be sure to check out our collection of easy apple recipes.
Don't you hate it when your pretty apple slices turn brown? Click here to find out how to keep apples from turning brown and for other apple storage tips!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If your lunch box or afternoon snack could use a little change-of-pace, then you're going to go crazy for these...Crazy Corn Dog Muffins! What's crazy about them? Well, aside from being "crazy good" they're also super easy to make and very portable!