Apricot Pineapple Braids
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
You'll feel like a prize-winning baker when you make this easy no-knead bread recipe for Apricot Pineapple Braids. We think it's perfect to enjoy with some hot coffee for breakfast, brunch, or anytime at all.
What You'll Need:
- 2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 (6-ounce) package dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
What To Do:
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water for 5 minutes. Add milk, butter, egg, granulated sugar, salt, and 2 cups flour; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add remaining 2-1/2 cups flour and beat until a stiff batter forms. Place dough in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- In a medium saucepan, combine apricots, crushed pineapple with its liquid, brown sugar, and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and filling reaches spreading consistency. Let cool.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces. On a lightly flour surface, roll each piece into a 15" x 8" rectangle. Place each rectangle on a greased baking sheet.
- Spread half the filling down center of dough. Cut slits in dough one inch apart lengthwise down each side of filling. Fold strips at an angle across filling, alternating from side to side.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Bake braids 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden; cool.
Makes 2 braided breads.
Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
For more information about the 2011 National Festival of Breads contest, visit www.nationalfestivalofbreads.com.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We gave a family-favorite a tasty and modern makeover by adding a crispy, potato tot topping that's so good everyone will want to dig in right away! They'll be surprised to find such a tasty, gooey, cheesy, and meaty filling in this amazing Potato Tot Enchilada Casserole.