- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 40 Min
- READY IN
- 2 Hr 40 Min
End your Italian feast on a sweet note with our Cassata Cake! The best part? Our cassata cake recipe uses a convenient shortcut, which means you get to enjoy a slice of this delicious Italian specialty in no time!
What You'll Need:
1 (18-1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix, batter prepared according to the package directions
1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Note)
What To Do:
- Bake cake batter according to package directions for two 9-inch round layers; let cool, then remove from pans.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, chocolate chips, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the vanilla, and cinnamon; mix well, then cover and chill until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, combine rum, water, and remaining granulated sugar; mix well, then set aside. Place one cake layer on a serving platter and drizzle with rum mixture until liquid is completely absorbed. Cover with ricotta cheese mixture and top with second cake layer.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat heavy cream and confectioners' sugar 5 to 6 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Frost top and sides of cake with whipped cream then sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Cover loosely and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- To toast the almonds, place them on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 4 to 5 minutes, or just until golden. They toast very quickly, so watch them carefully to avoid burning!
- Want even more Italian desserts like our Cassata Cake Recipe? Then be sure to check out our collection of 8 Easy Italian Dessert Recipes.
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
10 13 14