We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 40 Min
- READY IN
- 2 Hr 40 Min
End your Italian feast on a sweet note with our Cassata Cake! The best part? Our cassata cake recipe uses a convenient shortcut, which means you get to enjoy a slice of this delicious Italian specialty in no time!
What You'll Need:
- 1 (18-1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix, batter prepared according to the package directions
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Note)
What To Do:
- Bake cake batter according to package directions for two 9-inch round layers; let cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, chocolate chips, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the vanilla, and cinnamon; mix well, then cover and chill until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, combine rum, water, and remaining granulated sugar; mix well. Drizzle half of the mixture over each cake layer until liquid is completely absorbed. Place one cake layer on a serving platter, cover with ricotta cheese mixture and top with second cake layer.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat heavy cream and confectioners' sugar 5 to 6 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Frost top and sides of cake with whipped cream then sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Cover loosely and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- To toast the almonds, place them on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 4 to 5 minutes, or just until golden. They toast very quickly, so watch them carefully to avoid burning!
- Want even more Italian desserts like our Cassata Cake Recipe? Then be sure to check out our collection of 8 Easy Italian Dessert Recipes.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Rice isn't only for serving as a side dish or throwing at weddings! It's also a main ingredient in this to-die-for dessert. Our Baked Custard Rice Pudding is a traditional, custard-style pudding that can be served hot or chilled - either way it's so tasty!