Texas Sheet Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
They say "everything in Texas is bigger than life," and that goes for our easy recipe for Texas Sheet Cake! This crowd-sized Texas chocolate sheet cake will delight chocolate lovers, and definitely take the cake!
What You'll Need:
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine 2 sticks butter, water, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder; cook until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl to cool. Add flour, granulated sugar, eggs, sour cream, baking soda, and salt; beat until well combined, then pour into a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean; set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, make frosting by melting the 1/4 cup butter with milk and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Frost cooled cake.
- If you want to fancy this up a bit, sprinkle with broken-up pieces of your favorite chocolate candy bar or Texas-sized whole shelled walnuts!
- Not feeling this chocolate version? Don't worry—we've got a white cake version too with our White Texas Sheet Cake.
- This Texas sheet cake recipe is just one way to enjoy the larger-than-life tastes that you can find in Texas cooking. For more easy recipes from Texas, check out our collection of 8 Easy Texas Recipes.
Did You Know?
Ever wondered, "What is Texas sheet cake anyway?" Well, we've got a few answers! While no one know exactly where Texas sheet cake came from, it started to gain popularity in the South sometime in the mid-twentieth century. It's similar to recipes like Sweet Chocolate Cake and German Chocolate Cake and usually comes in chocolate or vanilla. Texas sheet cake is known for being long and thin because it's prepared in a sheet pan and usually topped with frosting and even a variety of add-ons like pecans or sprinkles. Other variations typically include buttermilk or sour cream! This is also a great starter recipe for making a layered cake by making two or more and adding jelly or frosting in between!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Often the best things in life, or on our kitchen table, are the simplest ones, and this Buttery Cabbage recipe falls into that category. Crisp bacon, nutritious cabbage, and a few other ingredients make this simple cabbage recipe a spectacular one, time and time again.