- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
Banana Pudding is a creamy, classic Southern dessert that's traditionally served warm. Our homemade version is a sweet treat that can be served anytime!
What You'll Need:
2 cups plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
cup all-purpose flour
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 cup milk
5 eggs, separated
1 whole egg
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 (12-ounce) package vanilla wafers
teaspoon cream of tartar
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with vanilla wafers.
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar, flour, and salt. Add evaporated milk, milk, egg yolks, and the whole egg; stir well and place over medium heat. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until the custard is think and coats a spoon, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla, stirring until the butter melts. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Slice bananas and place over vanilla wafers. Pour the custard over the bananas.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy; add remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over the custard in the baking dish, covering completely.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm, or allow to cool then cover and chill until ready to serve.
07 06 14