The Proof is in the Pudding: 20 Amazing Bread Pudding Recipes, Rice Pudding Recipes, & More
Old Fashioned Bread Pudding
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Old Fashioned Bread Pudding is easy and tastes like the good old days. Want to make it a bit different and fancy? Add chopped apples or cherries, even chopped canned peaches or pears. Serve it cold or hot with maple syrup...any way you like it.
What You'll Need:
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups soft bread cubes (about 5 slices bread)
- 1/2 cup raisins
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place butter in a small bowl. Scald milk (heat it to just below boiling), and pour it over the butter; stir to mix well.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Gradually stir in milk mixture then stir in sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Place bread cubes and raisins in a 1-1/2-quart baking dish; pour in milk mixture. Stir gently to evenly moisten bread. Set baking dish in a larger pan; add hot water to larger pan to come about halfway up sides of baking dish.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until knife inserted into pudding comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.
- Maple syrup, the real maple syrup that many of us grew up on...there's nothing like it. It's expensive, but a small bottle for topping French toast, pancakes, waffles, or a bread pudding like this one on a special day? It's well worth it because real maple syrup has a natural taste and texture that can't be duplicated.
- We've got even more simple bread pudding recipes like Cinnamon-Raisin Bread Pudding and Georgia Bread Pudding.
- Want even more of the best pudding recipes? Check 'em out in our free eCookbook, The Proof is in the Pudding: 20 Amazing Bread Pudding Recipes, Rice Pudding Recipes, & More!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We deconstructed one of your favorite sandwiches to bring you this family-sized Philly Cheese Steak Bake. It's got everything you love about a cheese steak in the form of a hot and hearty casserole, including the cheesy sauce and deli-style roast beef.