Villa Valenti's Eggplant Rollatini
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Mr. Food and his family enjoyed this dish at their favorite Italian restaurant in their hometown for years. Emma Valenti sure was gracious about sharing her recipe with us and, since we can't duplicate her homemade sauce, we've simplified it for you.
What You'll Need:
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 cups Italian-flavored bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium-sized eggplant, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick slices (about 16 slices total)
- 1 (28-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 (32-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish; beat well. Place bread crumbs in another shallow dish. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, dip eggplant slices in egg mixture then coat completely with bread crumbs. Place coated eggplant slices in skillet a few at a time and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden, adding more oil as needed. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
- Reserve 1 cup spaghetti sauce and pour remaining sauce over the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; mix well.
- Place cooked eggplant on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup ricotta cheese mixture over the top of each. Roll up jelly-roll fashion and place seam-side down in baking dish. Pour reserved 1 cup spaghetti sauce over eggplant rolls and top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until sauce is hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.