Classic Fried Chicken
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 20 Min
- COOK TIME
- 40 Min
- READY IN
- 1 Hr
If you like fried chicken that has real crunch and lots of flavor, then this recipe for Classic Fried Chicken is right up your alley. We give our chicken a buttermilk bath to make it extra-moist and flavorful, and coat it twice before frying it up so it's super crunchy. The results? The perfect, classic fried chicken.
What You'll Need:
- 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
What To Do:
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover. Add 2 teaspoons salt and soak chicken 20 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; mix well. Place buttermilk in another shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from water and dip in flour mixture, coating completely. Dip chicken in buttermilk then in flour mixture again, coating all sides.
- In a soup pot over medium-low heat, heat shortening until hot but not smoking, about 300 degrees F. Fry chicken in batches 8 to 10 minutes per side, or until golden and juices run clear. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and serve immediately.
Make sure you round off the meal with our Award-Winning Mashed Potatoes!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This pot roast recipe was shared with us by a grandma who loves ballroom dancing! Whenever she made this comforting meal for dinner, the whole family would rush to the table. Plus, Grandma Lois' Pot Roast is made in one pot, so you know it's going to be easy. That leaves a lot more time for dancing!