Cut out these tasty butter cookies into dreidels, menorahs and other Hanukkah shapes, or simply enjoy them round (and year-round) as the butteriest butter cookies you'll ever eat.
What You'll Need:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cups all-purpose flour
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a large bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat 1 to 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the flour and beat 2 minutes, or until well blended. Form dough into 2 balls; cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured work surface, using a rolling pin, roll 1 ball of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters or a knife, cut into Hanukkah or other desired shapes. Place shapes 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining ball of dough.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden around the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Enjoy these plain or sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles before baking. You can also frost and decorate the cookies once they've cooled. Do your own thing!