We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Fish fries are as commonplace in the South as clambakes in New England. They're often the focal point of church fund-raisers and other town social events.
What You'll Need:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 6 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets (about 2 pounds total)
What To Do:
In a shallow dish, combine the egg, mustard, and hot pepper sauce; mix well. In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, flour, and salt; mix well.
In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot but not smoking.
Dip catfish fillets in egg mixture then in cornmeal mixture, coating completely.
- Cook fillets a few at a time 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden and the fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Serve immediately.
If you prefer baked catfish instead of fried, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat the fillets as above, then place on a rimmed baking sheet that has been coated with cooking spray. Coat the tops of the fillets with nonstick cooking spray and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve immediately.
- If you want even more classic Southern recipes, be sure to check out our free eCookbook, Down-Home Cookin': 24 Easy Southern Favorites.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If your lunch box or afternoon snack could use a little change-of-pace, then you're going to go crazy for these...Crazy Corn Dog Muffins! What's crazy about them? Well, aside from being "crazy good" they're also super easy to make and very portable!
- Potato-Crusted Salmon
- Crabmeat Stuffed Salmon
- Southern Fish and Chips
- Seafood-Stuffed Fish Fillets
- No-Fuss Salmon Casserole
- Fresh Catch Burgers
- Buttermilk Fish Fillets
- Gone Fishin: 45 Easy Fish Recipes for Salmon, Tuna, Shellfish, & More!
- Pan Fried Red Snapper
- Easy Tuna Recipes: 13 Tuna Salad Recipes, Tuna Casserole Recipes, and More