Pushcart Onion Sauce
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Pushcart Onion Sauce is an easy version of the traditional hot dog topping that's served up at New York City hot dog stands. Take your taste buds to the Big Apple with the very first bite!
What You'll Need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, cut in half then into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup water
What To Do:
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add onions and saute until golden and limp, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in ketchup then add cinnamon, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Stir in water and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until mixture is heated through.
Makes about 2 cups onion sauce (enough for 6 to 8 hot dogs).
This is really great spooned over cooked hot dogs, but try it with other foods, too, and watch how fast they disappear!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Craving a homemade dessert, but don't feel like baking? Then our recipe for No-Bake Lemonade Cheesecakes is right up your alley! In less than 10 minutes you can whip up this 5-ingredient dessert recipe that'll have leave you dreaming of breezy blue skies and fields of fresh berries.