Hot Water Cornbread
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 1 dozen
- 5 Min
- COOK TIME
- 3 Min
Cornbread is always a favorite among the Mr. Food family members and this Hot Water Cornbread will be a favorite of yours, too!
What You'll Need
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 to 1-1/4 cups boiling water (see note)
- Vegetable oil
- Softened butter
What to Do
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; stir in half-and-half and 1 tablespoon oil. Gradually add boiling water, stirring until batter is the consistency of oatmeal.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of 1/2-inch; place over medium-high heat. Scoop batter into a 1/4-cup measure; drop into hot oil, and fry in batches 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve with softened butter.
The amount of boiling water needed varies depending on the type of cornmeal used. Stone-ground (coarsely ground) cornmeal requires more liquid.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
These are a real Southern specialty; if you've never had the chance to try them, you'd better get ready to eat more than one! These Tangy Pickled Eggs are an old-fashioned Southern recipe that is now easy to make at home! Just a few easy steps and simple ingredients and you'll be making Tangy Pickled Eggs in no time!