Hot Water Cornbread
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 1 dozen
- 5 Min
- COOK TIME
- 3 Min
Cornbread is always a favorite among the Mr. Food family members and this Hot Water Cornbread will be a favorite of yours, too!
What You'll Need
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 to 1-1/4 cups boiling water (see note)
- Vegetable oil
- Softened butter
What to Do
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; stir in half-and-half and 1 tablespoon oil. Gradually add boiling water, stirring until batter is the consistency of oatmeal.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of 1/2-inch; place over medium-high heat. Scoop batter into a 1/4-cup measure; drop into hot oil, and fry in batches 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve with softened butter.
The amount of boiling water needed varies depending on the type of cornmeal used. Stone-ground (coarsely ground) cornmeal requires more liquid.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you're tired of serving the same ol' side dishes every fall, then you've got to give our Butternut Squash Fritters a try. Fried until golden and crispy, there's no way anyone can resist having one...or two. And they're even better if you drizzle a little syrup over them!