Roast Veal Florentine
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
It sounds fancy. It tastes elegant. But the cost? Economical! (So how could you go wrong?)
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 3 eggs
- 2 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 pounds ground veal
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen creamed spinach, thawed
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the potato flakes, water, 1 egg, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the veal, spinach, bread crumbs, the remaining 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, and pepper; mix well.
- Place half of the veal mixture into a 5" x 9" loaf pan that has been coated with nonstick vegetable spray. Pat down the mixture, making a 1/2-inch indentation lengthwise down the center of the loaf. Fill the indentation with the potato mixture then gently top the entire loaf with the remaining meat mixture, pressing down gently to seal the edges. Spread the ketchup over the top of the loaf and bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until the veal is cooked through and the juices run clear. Drain off the excess liquid and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
If you've got leftover homemade mashed potatoes, you can use those instead of the potato flakes and water.