Meatballs and Sunday Sauce
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
These Old World Italian-style meatballs are the secret family recipe of guest chef Daniel Mancini, who shared his grandmother's special recipe with us for what he calls Mama Mancinis Meatballs with Sunday Sauce.
What You'll Need:
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large eggs
What To Do:
- To make the sauce, in a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes with liquid, the bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mix well. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the 1/4 cup oil. Mix well then form into 18 meatballs.
- In a large skillet, heat the 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Place half the meatballs in skillet and cook until browned on all sides, but not cooked through. Transfer meatballs to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Place meatballs in sauce and stir gently. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently.
Makes 18 meatballs.
- Recipe courtesy of Daniel Mancini of Mama Mancini's.
- Serve with your favorite pasta shape!
- For easy Italian recipes you will make again and again, we've compiled this collection of 35 No-Fail Italian Favorites, Plus 7 Classic Sauces you can make at home!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Make room burritos, 'cause there's a new contender in town, and they're going by the name of Tex-Mex Hand Pies! These creamy hand pies are stuffed full of Tex-Mex favorites like salsa, chicken and lots of creamy cheese. You're going to wish you had more hands.