Classic Corn Cakes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Sometimes known as "journey cakes" or "hoecakes" these cakes made from cornmeal were known for how well they kept. Our Classic Corn Cakes are easy to make because they only require four ingredients and even fewer steps to hot-n-ready!
What You'll Need
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
What to Do
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all ingredients except oil; mix well. Allow batter to stand 5 to 10 minutes to thicken slightly.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto skillet to form each hoe cake. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until light brown and crisp around edges.
- Repeat until all batter is used, adding more oil as needed. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a low oven until all hoecakes are cooked.
These are usually served topped with a little butter. And for a true Southern treat, serve them with molasses.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This recipe was under lock and key with our Test Kitchen supervisor for years. It was a family recipe and she finally did share it with us. So, here you go. Make sure you let us know how much you like Cold Fudge Cake in the recipe comments below.