The Originators of Quick & Easy Cooking!
Classic Corn Cakes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
Sometimes known as "journey cakes" or "hoecakes" these cakes made from cornmeal were known for how well they kept. Our Classic Corn Cakes are easy to make because they only require four ingredients and even fewer steps to hot-n-ready!
What You'll Need
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
What to Do
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all ingredients except oil; mix well. Allow batter to stand 5 to 10 minutes to thicken slightly.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto skillet to form each hoe cake. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until light brown and crisp around edges.
- Repeat until all batter is used, adding more oil as needed. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a low oven until all hoecakes are cooked.
These are usually served topped with a little butter. And for a true Southern treat, serve them with molasses.
May 10, 2014
Dump couple big ladles of ham and beans on top Oooooohh so good....
- WAS THIS HELPFUL? YesNo
- REPORT ABUSE
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Easy Butter Chicken
If you like meals that are bursting with flavor, then you're going to love this Indian-inspired dish. Our Easy Butter Chicken is going to excite your taste buds. Every bite is full of creamy, comforting goodness. This is a great change-of-pace chicken dinner!