Mexican Cheese Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Add a little bounce of flavor to any ol' soup with this cheesy, Mexican variety. Perfect for spicing up a boring lunch routine, you'll never want to resort to any soups from a can!
What You'll Need:
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (10-1/2-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
What To Do:
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add bell pepper and onion and saute 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender.
Add flour, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and cook 4 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly. Reduce heat.
Stir in cheese, chilies, cumin, oregano, and ground red pepper. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in half-and-half, and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring often.
For a nice garnish, cut 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas into thin strips. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add tortilla strips, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out all of our cheesy favorites in The Cheese Lover's eCookbook: 34 Easy Recipes with Cheese.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Hosting a party or attending a potluck? Break out the pita chips and set out a bowl of this Summer Party Salad. This diabetic-friendly salad is full of color, taste, and nutrition 'cause it's loaded with a variety of delicious summer veggies!