Country Kitchen Broccoli Cheese Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our Country Kitchen Broccoli Cheese Soup starts with an easy roux, just like a restaurant chef would make. And after you taste this creamy homemade soup recipe and realize how easy it is to prepare, you'll want to make it again and again!
What You'll Need
- 5 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 broccoli heads, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
What to Do
In a soup pot over high heat, combine broth, broccoli, onion, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour, stirring continuously until golden.
- Slowly add the butter mixture to the soup, stirring until thickened; simmer 5 minutes. Slowly stir in heavy cream, mixing well. Add cheese, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, until cheese is melted.
- Serve the soup in bread bowls that you make by cutting a circle out of the top of kaiser rolls and hollowing them out. Ladle the soup into the bread bowls and garnish with additional shredded Cheddar cheese.
- For other hearty soup recipes that start with a roux, check out our Cream of Leek Soup, our Brie Mushroom Soup, and our Cauliflower Cheese Soup.
- If you liked this broccoli cheese soup recipe, be sure to check out all of our cheesy favorites in The Cheese Lover's eCookbook: 34 Easy Recipes with Cheese.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This spring salad recipe is gonna make 'em drop their jaws; it's just that cute! By stuffing jumbo-sized pasta shells with a delicious homemade antipasto we've made Antipasto Stuffed Shells worthy of being served at every picnic, potluck, and family get-together.