Cheesy Spoon Bread
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Put away your bread knife! There's no slicing this Cheesy Spoon Bread; just spoon it out! We added a little kick to this spoon bread to add a zesty new flavor to a traditional Southern favorite.
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup fine white cornmeal (see Note)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 5- inch loaf pan with cooking spray
- In a medium-sized bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, combine cornmeal, water, butter, baking powder, salt, and pepper for 30 seconds. Add eggs and milk and beat 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour half of batter into a prepared loaf pan. Spoon chilies and 2/3 cup of cheese evenly over batter. Pour remaining batter over cheese and top with remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.
- Fine white cornmeal is available in the supermarket baking aisle or alongside the hot cereals.
- Hungry for more? Check out our collection of Easy Mexican Casserole Recipes: the Best Mexican Casseroles.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you're tired of serving the same ol' side dishes every fall, then you've got to give our Butternut Squash Fritters a try. Fried until golden and crispy, there's no way anyone can resist having one...or two. And they're even better if you drizzle a little syrup over them!