Low Fat Fudgy Brownies
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Did you know that in most dark baked goods you can replace the added fat with prune puree? Yup! And it's found right in your supermarket baking department.
What You'll Need
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup prune puree or prepared prune butter (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut chocolate into 1-inch pieces and heat in microwave or on stove in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until chocolate is melted. (Do not allow to boil.) Remove from heat and place in a large bowl; add remaining ingredients except flour and nuts; stir with a spoon until well combined. Mix in flour.
- Spread batter in prepared baking dish; sprinkle with nuts, if desired. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack; cut into squares when cool.
Using prune puree or prepared prune butter in place of oil allows us to enjoy baked goods that are low in fat, yet are rich, moist, and flavorful. Use it in a direct one-to-one substitution for butter, margarine, or oil in darker baked goods. Prune puree and prune butter are available ready to use (found in the jam & jelly or baking section of your supermarket), or you can make your own puree by combining 1-1/2 cups (8 ounces) pitted prunes and 6 tablespoons water in the container of a food processor; pulse on and off until the mixture is smooth. It makes 1 cup.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you have a big Christmas list, we've got a yummy, budget-friendly solution! Our Caramel-Dipped Chocolate Apples are the perfect DIY Christmas gifts! Everyone will love the combo of ooey gooey caramel, sweet chocolate, and crisp apple, but want to know the best part? There's an unlimited amount of ways to decorate these!