Chocolate Surprise Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This easy dump cake recipe calls for one special ingredient that we think really brings out the sweet and chocolatey flavor! Our Chocolate Surprise Cake is great for potlucks, birthday parties, or any time you've got the whole gang gathered together.
What You'll Need
- 1 (16.5-ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups root beer soda (not diet)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, root beer, eggs, and oil; beat 1 to 2 minutes, or until well blended. Spread batter in baking dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and coconut over top.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool, then cut into squares.
- By now you've figured out that the surprise ingredient in this chocolate dump cake is actually the root beer soda. We use soda in this recipe to add another layer of flavor and to make it more moist and delicious! To try another variation, check out our recipe for Chocolate Cola Cake.
- Dump cake recipes like this one are perfect for when you've got a lot of folks to treat, but not too much time to spend in the kitchen. For more great ideas, check out our collection of Dreamy Dump Cake Recipes.
- If you're a fan of this cake, then we've got a pretty good feeling you'll love our recipe for The Ultimate German Chocolate Cake, too!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Calories 235
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10g 16 %
- Saturated Fat 4.9g 25 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 2.7g 5 %
- Cholesterol 23mg 8 %
- Sodium 295mg 12 %
- Total Carbohydrates 35g 12 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.1g 0 %
- Sugars 22g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
They say everything's bigger in Texas, which must be why this casserole is so big on taste! Our Texas Broccoli and Rice Casserole is creamy, cheesy, and oh-so-easy. It's perfect alongside anything from Texas brisket to your favorite chicken dinner!