Mary Todd Lincoln's Presidential Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
It's said that one of Abraham Lincoln's favorite desserts was his wife's white almond cake. In fact, it's the cake that she baked him to woo him! In his honor, we came up with this recipe for Mary Todd Lincoln's Presidential Cake, which we hope will woo you too!
What You'll Need
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup blanched almonds, chopped in a food processor until they resemble a coarse flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1 (16-ounce) container vanilla frosting
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture, alternating with milk, and beat until well combined. Add almonds and vanilla; mix well.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, then fold into batter. Spoon evenly into Bundt pan.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 15 minutes, then invert onto wire rack to finish cooling. Place cake on serving platter.
- Remove lid and foil top from frosting container and microwave 20 to 30 seconds, or until pourable. Drizzle frosting over cake and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
We can honor another of our presidents (or just wow the gang!) with our Jelly Bean Brittle!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Calories 716
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 36g 55 %
- Saturated Fat 12g 61 %
- Trans Fat 0.6g 0 %
- Protein 12g 23 %
- Cholesterol 42mg 14 %
- Sodium 463mg 19 %
- Total Carbohydrates 91g 30 %
- Dietary Fiber 4.0g 16 %
- Sugars 60g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You're going to love this comforting Italian dinner! Little Italy Eggplant Rollatini is our version of a restaurant favorite. It's basically an eggplant roll-up that's filled with lots of creamy cheese and covered in spaghetti sauce. Once your family gets a taste, they're going to ask for it again and again!