The Market Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our inspiration for this zucchini cake, topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting, comes from a popular Denver bakery, known simply as, "The Market." We think The Market Cake is perfect for celebrating summer birthdays or bringing along to potlucks, especially since it's made with yummy, in-season, fruits and veggies!
What You'll Need
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Assorted fresh fruit for garnish (see Note)
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream, and vanilla; mix well. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; mix until well combined. Stir in zucchini. Pour batter into baking dish.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- To make the frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar, mixing until combined. In another bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff, then fold whipped cream and vanilla into cream cheese mixture. Spread frosting evenly over cake.
- Arrange fruit over entire top of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
We topped our cake with strawberries, blueberries, mango, and kiwi, but any of your favorite fruits will work!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.