Scalloped Pierogi Bake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you love scalloped potatoes but not all the work that it takes to make them, then you are going to love this easy to make and bake casserole. The secret is starting out with frozen pierogi and layering them with a homemade cheese sauce. The results are a creamy, dreamy side dish that’s just as good for a weeknight dinner as it is on your holiday table.
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen pierogi
- Paprika for sprinkling
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 8- x 8-inch baking dish or 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onion and garlic for 7 to 9 minutes or until onions start to turn golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper, and cook until mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly. Add cheese and continue stirring until melted.
- Pour 1/2 cup of cheese sauce in bottom of baking dish. Place a layer of pierogi on top. Pour half of the remaining cheese sauce over pierogi. Repeat layers with pierogi and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until pierogi are heated through, and top is bubbly and golden.
Test Kitchen Tip:
When we make these, we prefer to grate our own cheese as it seems to melt better. Plus, it’s a great way to use up those odds and ends pieces you have hiding in the back of your fridge.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Pull-Apart Cheese Bread is great for a movie night at home with some friends and family. That's 'cause this pull-apart bread is made with delicious and irresistible ingredients, like two kinds of melted cheese and yummy buttermilk biscuits. Just don't blame us if this recipe steals the show!