Traditional Boston Cream Pie
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Even though this is called a pie, it's really a layered cake with a custard filling. Because this one starts with cake mix, you'll have an extra cake, which you can use for another Boston Cream Pie or freeze for another time.
What You'll Need
- 1 (18.5 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (4-serving size) box instant vanilla pudding and pie filling
- 1 cup cold milk
- Chocolate Glaze (see Note)
What to Do
- Bake cake according to package directions for two 8-inch layers; let cool. Reserve one layer cake for later use. Slice remaining cake layer in half horizontally and place bottom half of layer cut-side up on a serving plate.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk together until pudding is thick and smooth; spread pudding over bottom cake layer. Place other half of cake layer cut-side down over pudding.
- Refrigerate while preparing Chocolate Glaze. Allow glaze to cool slightly before spreading it over top of cake. Refrigerate glazed cake at least 1 hour or until filling and glaze are set before serving.
For the perfect chocolate glaze, in a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 oz. (1/2 square) unsweetened chocolate over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thickened, bubbly, and smooth. Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and use immediately.
- Want even more tasty cake mix recipes? Check out our free eCookbook, Tempting Cake Mix Recipes: 30 Simple Recipes with Cake Mix.