Down-Home Collard Greens
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our slow cooker version of Down-Home Collard Greens are an old-time southern classic, that knows no boundaries. Enjoy as a flavorful go-along with any of your favorite main dishes. We love this one with crispy southern fried chicken!
What You'll Need
- 1 meaty smoked ham hock, rinsed
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped onion
- 1 (1-pound) package chopped fresh collard greens, tough stems removed
- 1 teaspoon prepared roasted minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (14-ounce) cans seasoned chicken broth with roasted garlic
- 2 3/4 cups water
What to Do
- Place ham hock, carrot, and onion in a 6-quart oval slow cooker. Add collard greens. Sprinkle greens with garlic, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Pour broth and water over collard greens, pressing greens down into liquid as much as possible with a large spoon.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting 9 hours. Remove greens to a serving dish with a slotted spoon or tongs. Remove meat from ham hock, discarding fat and bones; chop meat. Add to greens, tossing lightly to evenly distribute meat in greens. Ladle desired amount of pot liquor over greens.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.