Black Forest Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Off-the-shelf all-American ingredients like devil's food cake mix and cherry pie filling are your passport to our version of this German classic Black Forest Cake recipe. It's a rich and decadent dessert that'll make you look like a pastry chef!
What You'll Need
- 1 (16.5-ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling, drained, with 1/2 cup sauce reserved
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) container chocolate frosting
What to Do
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and reserved cherry sauce; mix well. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form; beat in confectioners' sugar. Place a cooled cake layer upside down on a serving platter and cover top with half of the whipped cream; spoon cherries over whipped cream.
- Place second cake layer over first and frost sides with chocolate frosting. Frost top with remaining whipped cream. Serve, or cover loosely and chill until ready to serve.
- For that elegant finishing touch, top the cake with chocolate curls and additional cherries or chocolate-covered cherries.
- Plus, don't forget to check out other German dessert favorites like The Ultimate German Chocolate Cake!
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our free eBook, Classic Cakes: 24 Easy Cake Recipes to Enjoy Year-Round!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Calories 541
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28g 44 %
- Saturated Fat 9.7g 49 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 4.6g 9 %
- Cholesterol 74mg 25 %
- Sodium 404mg 17 %
- Total Carbohydrates 70g 23 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.6g 7 %
- Sugars 41g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You may be serving pasta as the main dish, but when you serve our recipe for Crispy Sesame Artichokes on the side, you're going to have yourself a main attraction. These tender-cooked artichoke hearts are crispy-coated and full of flavor. Plus, they taste even better when dipped into our creamy lemon sauce!