Classic Homemade Eggnog
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 1 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 5 Min
When the holiday season rolls around one of the things we look forward to drinking is eggnog. Our recipe for Classic Homemade Eggnog delivers all of the traditional, rich, and creamy tastes that you expect from a great Christmas eggnog.
What You'll Need
- 4 cups milk
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups light rum or brandy (See Note)
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
What to Do
- In a saucepan, combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and the cinnamon; heat on low 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar; whisk until fluffy. Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into eggs, and pour back into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool 1 hour.
- Stir in rum, half-and-half, nutmeg, and remaining vanilla. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Don't have any liquor on hand or want to make this easy eggnog recipe kid-friendly? You can substitute the rum by increasing with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of half-and-half, and adding 2 teaspoons of rum extract.
- We've got a bunch of great eggnog recipes for you to try! Just click here to view the collection.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you're wanting an easy, savory recipe, then it's time to rustle up our Hillbilly One Pot. It's loaded with ground beef, black eyed peas, and other ingredients that will bring the flavors of the South to your kitchen! Know what's great about one pot recipes? Clean up is a breeze, which means our Hillbilly One Pot allows you more time to spend with the family. It's a budget-friendly, all-in-one recipe you have to try!