Classic Homemade Eggnog
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 1 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 5 Min
When the holiday season rolls around one of the things we look forward to drinking is eggnog. Our recipe for Classic Homemade Eggnog delivers all of the traditional, rich, and creamy tastes that you expect from a great Christmas eggnog.
What You'll Need
- 4 cups milk
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups light rum or brandy (See Note)
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
What to Do
- In a saucepan, combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and the cinnamon; heat on low 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar; whisk until fluffy. Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into eggs, and pour back into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool 1 hour.
- Stir in rum, half-and-half, nutmeg, and remaining vanilla. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Don't have any liquor on hand or want to make this easy eggnog recipe kid-friendly? You can substitute the rum by increasing with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of half-and-half, and adding 2 teaspoons of rum extract.
- We've got a bunch of great eggnog recipes for you to try! Just click here to view the collection.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Everyone knows that pork and apples makes for a winning combo, which is why we love this down-home recipe for Pork Chops Applesauce. This dinner recipe is perfect for your bunch at home, 'cause every bite is sure to deliver lots of classic flavor. (Plus, our homemade applesauce is so easy and so tasty!)