Middle Eastern Meat Sauce
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This flavorful meat sauce recipe with ground beef is a welcome change over traditional tomato based pasta sauce. Middle Eastern Meat Sauce has the hallmarks of an international classic, with the ease of all-American ingenuity.
What You'll Need
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 (8-ounce) container fat-free Greek yogurt or reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
What to Do
In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion and garlic; pour off excess fat.
Stir in mint, parsley, oregano, cinnamon, salt, and pepper, then yogurt and lemon juice.
- Simmer over medium heat, covered, 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
If the sauce is too thick, you can thin it with some broth or water. Serve over rice or pasta and sprinkle 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley and paprika over the top as garnish. If you'd like to make it Italian style, add some crushed fennel seed and skip the cinnamon.
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our free eBook, Ground Beef Recipes: 25 Quick & Easy Recipes for Ground Beef!