Classic French Onion Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Classic taste, classic favorite. Once everyone tastes this, they'll know why we call it Classic French Onion Soup.
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium-sized sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups canned beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 (3/4-inch-thick) slices French bread toasted
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
What to Do
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 5 minutes or just until tender. Add broth, Worcestershire, and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in sherry.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Ladle soup into individual 2-cup ovenproof bowls; place bowls on a baking sheet. Top each serving with a slice of bread. Sprinkle cheese evenly over bread. Bake 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Use oven mitts to serve the hot bowls of soup.
Sweet onions make the sweetest French onion soup. But some recipes sauté the sweet onions a little too long, which can make them gummy. My recipe gives them a quick sauté - just long enough to release their flavor - and then simmers them in the soup. How sweet it is!