Potato Cheese Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Rich-as-can-be Potato Cheese Soup is a classic restaurant favorite that we can easily simmer on our stovetop. With a stick-to-your-ribs thick and hearty potato soup like this, it's easy to ladle up a satisfying meal chock-full of comfort.
What You'll Need:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
What To Do:
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, and vinegar; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add flour, milk, salt, and pepper; cook until soup is thickened and heated through, stirring constantly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Taste for salt, adding more if necessary. Serve immediately.
- Because salt levels vary depending on the type of chicken broth you use, you may want to taste for salt when you've finished cooking the soup.
- To serve this hearty soup restaurant-style, top with bacon bits, sliced scallions, and additional shredded cheese.
- Check out even more favorite soups with our free eCookbook, Comfort Food for the Soul: 40 of Our Best Stews and Easy Soup Recipes.
- Plus, pair this easy Potato Cheese Soup recipe with our Garlic Cheddar Biscuits for an extra dose of cheesy fun!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.