Potato Cheese Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Rich-as-can-be Potato Cheese Soup is a classic restaurant favorite that we can easily simmer on our stovetop. With a stick-to-your-ribs thick and hearty potato soup like this, it's easy to ladle up a satisfying meal chock-full of comfort.
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
What to Do
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, and vinegar; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add flour, milk, salt, and pepper; cook until soup is thickened and heated through, stirring constantly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Taste for salt, adding more if necessary. Serve immediately.
- Because salt levels vary depending on the type of chicken broth you use, you may want to taste for salt when you've finished cooking the soup.
- To serve this hearty soup restaurant-style, top with bacon bits, sliced scallions, and additional shredded cheese.
- Check out even more favorite soups with our free eCookbook, Comfort Food for the Soul: 40 of Our Best Stews and Easy Soup Recipes.
- Plus, pair this easy Potato Cheese Soup recipe with our Garlic Cheddar Biscuits for an extra dose of cheesy fun!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 582
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28g 43 %
- Saturated Fat 18g 88 %
- Trans Fat 0.4g 0 %
- Protein 25g 50 %
- Cholesterol 87mg 29 %
- Sodium 1,034mg 43 %
- Total Carbohydrates 59g 20 %
- Dietary Fiber 7.4g 30 %
- Sugars 12g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Back-to-School Cookies make the perfect lunchbox treat or after-school snack. These easy-to-make cookies start out from a box of cake mix and get their extra-crunchiness from graham crackers and their chocolaty-sweetness from lots of chocolate chips. Kids of all ages will love them!