Old-Fashioned Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- COOK TIME
- 1 Hr 45 Min
If you're looking to spend a cozy night indoors with a meal that'll fill your belly with old world comfort, then you'll love our Old-Fashioned Stuffed Cabbage. Hearty ground beef, tomato sauce, and rice make this a dinner recipe you'll love coming to the table for.
What You'll Need:
- 1 large cabbage, cored
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, not drained
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice, cooled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
What To Do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large saucepan, bring 1 inch of water to a boil over high heat. Place cabbage in water, cored-side down; cover pan, and reduce heat to low. Steam 20 minutes, or until cabbage leaves pull apart easily. Drain and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes and their juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice; mix well and set aside. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons tomato mixture; mix well.
Place 1 cup tomato mixture in bottom of prepared baking dish. Peel a cabbage leaf off the head and cut off thick stem. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of leaf. Starting at core end, make a roll, folding over sides and rolling loosely. Place seam-side down in baking dish; repeat with remaining cabbage leaves and meat mixture. Spoon remaining tomato mixture evenly over top of cabbage rolls and cover.
- Bake 1-1/4 hours. Uncover and cook 10 additional minutes, or until beef is no longer pink.
Test Kitchen Tip
- Instead of steaming the cabbage, an easy way to peel the leaves is to core the cabbage, freeze it overnight, thaw it completely, then peel away...easily!
- This is such an all-time favorite! Why not end your meal with another favorite -- our Classic Deep Dish Apple Pie!
- Don't forget to try our other cabbage recipes, too! You can find some of our favorites in our collection of 17 Easy Cabbage Recipes.
- We've got even more great stuffed recipes, too, like our Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms: How to Make Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage.
If you enjoyed this old-fashioned stuffed cabbage recipe, be sure to check out our collection of 12 Traditional German Recipes You Can't Miss.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
BBQ sauce and smoked paprika are the key ingredients to making this chili recipe taste extra-smokin' good. Not only is our Smokin' BBQ Chili recipe flavor-packed and delicious, but it's made in just one pot, so it's extra-easy to clean up, too!