We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
There are tons of ways to make delicious Dutch cookies, but this buttery cookie recipe is one that's near and dear to us, since it was one that a dear Oma (that's grandma!) shared with us. These cookies are lightly spiced and topped with crunchy nuts and colorful chocolate candies to make 'em taste even better!
What You'll Need
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup colored nonpareils
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 10- x 15-inch rimmed cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, and egg yolk. In another large bowl, combine flour and cinnamon; stir it into butter mixture. Using your hands, pat dough into pan.
- In a small bowl, beat water and egg white until frothy; brush it over dough, then sprinkle top nuts and nonpareils.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden. Cut immediately into finger-like bars.
Make sure to use the nonpareils found in the baking section, not the candy section, of your grocery store.