Austin Chicken Fried Steak
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
What could be more Texan than a chicken-fried steak recipe that comes from the capital of Texas?
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 2 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 to 1 ¼ pounds beef cubed steak
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
What to Do
- In a shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. In another shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup milk and egg; mix well. Place bread crumbs in a third shallow dish.
- Coat steak on all sides with flour mixture then egg mixture then bread crumb mixture. Discard any remaining coating mixture.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add steak and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until juices run clear and coating is golden, turning halfway through cooking. Drain on paper towels. Remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons of oil remaining in skillet.
- Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons flour into oil and brown over low heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 2 cups milk. Whisk 3 to 4 minutes, or until thick; add olives and stir well to mix.
- Place steak on a serving platter and top with gravy. Serve immediately.
Be sure to add the olives just before you're ready to serve this, or they'll cook too long and make the gravy too salty.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 896
- Calories from Fat 665
- Total Fat 74g 114 %
- Saturated Fat 13g 65 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 34g 68 %
- Cholesterol 136mg 45 %
- Sodium 1,358mg 57 %
- Total Carbohydrates 22g 7 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.9g 4 %
- Sugars 7.9g 0 %